Monday, September 21, 2009

Vacation in Maui



This is the best spot in the world that I have swimmed. My wife and I touristed the road to Hana, enjoyed a luau, relaxed in the sun at our resort.

Maui is definitely one beautiful place with perfect weather.

But I don't think I would ever need or want to go back again. I hate to be nitpicky, but for some reason, it just doesn't work for me. I feel I should apologize, and I can't quite put my finger on it, Maui is not a place I would want to be.

I'll give a few thoughts anyway:

1. Maui is expensive. I've read statistics that Maui imports 70-85% of their food. I've tried to figure out why (via the internet), but can't seem to find the reason. I know that most of the fresh water in the mountains is diverted for sugar cane production. But even so, the island is so lush, some fruit trees grow wild, avocadoes grow the size of oranges, yet farming doesn't seem to be a high priority.

We saw a lot of cattle, so they were able to live off the land.

2. Being an outsider looking in, I may notice things that others living there don't notice. And it was my first time. The people don't seem happy. Maybe it's the high cost of everything. And our economy is in the toilet. But you just don't see people smile. In Puerto Rico a few years ago, one thing that surprised me was how happy the people appeared. Though less money by American standards, I could see and tell that they were generally happy.

3. On the island, we stayed in Kaanapali. What struck me was there were no boat docks. I don't know why, because there were many high end resorts. It just seems to me it would be easy enough to build, and people could then venture out to the sea for snorkling, fishing, boating and swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment