Monday, October 3, 2011

Cooks Corner




I rode my bike to Cook's Corner this weekend. It was a hell of a lot of fun. The drive is down Santa Ana Canyon Drive and is one of the beautiful drives in Orange County.

Being that this is a new bike for me, and I haven't ridden in over 10 years, motorcycle people seem to have their own culture, their own brotherhood. When riding to Cook's Corner, riders will wave their hand to me. At first I didn't understand it, but then I realize it's a gesture of solidarity, that together we're part of a brotherhood. I'd like to carry that one step farther in that we Americans are all part of a brotherhood.

Cook's Corner is an experience. What makes it work is that it's out in the woods all by itself. No strip malls, no competing fast food joints, just Cook's Corner and it's patrons. The motorcycles are the star of the show. Outside they have a bar facing the parking lot. It's genius. They know who the star of the show is. One can stand there, make conversation, watch the bikers come in and out, and look at all the bikes. Most are Harley's.

This sounds kind of weird, and I think the impression is motorcycle riders are misfits (at least that used to be my perception), but somehow I think that ever the shit got down and dirty, these are the guys I'd want covering my back.

Here's a video I made of the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment