Sunday, November 20, 2011

Playing With The Neighbors' Kids


Today I lost a dollar. I bet the kid across the street that a race to the white van I would beat him. The odds were in my favor. I have a Harley 1200 Sportster and he's on a skateboard. He won.

I like playing with these kids. They're fun and like to play. I get a chance to be a kid too. I have a movie theatre type popcorn machine and the other day I brought it outside and cooked up a whole bottle of popcorn. All the kids tell me now is when am I going to make popcorn again.

But here's the problem and this is what this post is about. Though I get along well with all the parents of the kids that I know, in the back of my mind I can't help but think that they think I might be a pervert. It's not natural for an 'ol geezer to have fun with kids. Besides the parents kids, no other adult would even think of actually coming out to play with the kids. I am definitely an exception to the rule.

And in our state of what I would call "hyper-sensitivity", I would think that most people, even if they would like to spend time with the kids, probably say why bother, I'll just be labeled as some kind of freak.

So yeah, that does go through the back of my mind, and I'm very careful on my bounds around the kids. It'd be easier to just say screw it, and not bother. But I'm robbing myself of the joys of being around these great kids, and I know when I was a kid, I always loved to hang out with the adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment