Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rush Breitbart

Hold The Mayo

I couldn't care less about Sandra Fluke and I couldn't possibly care less that Limbaugh called her a prostitute and a slut. I understand the use of absurdity and hyperbole in trying to make a point. In the post below, I suggested that if Ms. Fluke's recreational pleasures were going to be paid for by someone else through the provision of free contraception, then my choice of recreational pleasure should be paid for by someone else as well. I tried to frame it as a mental health issue, but I think my chances are rather slim!

"Rush blew it" was Monday's conclusion.

By midweek that conclusion was beginning to soften. I still thought that it was stupid for Limbaugh to walk into such an obvious trap but conservative efforts to use the Left's faux outrage to shine a little sunlight on Liberal hypocrisy were starting to become effective. What at first sounded like a five-year-old's justification for calling his sister names had begun to change the focus of the issue. And it was the President's turn take the bait and give the other side a quote to use as a weapon.

The reason I called Ms. Fluke is because I thought about Malia and Sasha. One of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about, even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way. I don’t want them attacked and called horrible names because they are being good citizens.

Given the propensity of many on the left to do just that, Obama helped conservatives transform the issue into one about Liberal double standards. I'm not going to bother with yet another recounting of what an Obama SuperPac million dollar donor has said about Sarah Palin, you can google that for yourself if you haven't read it already, but Obama accepting a million dollars of support from someone famous for calling people horrible names because they spoke their mind on issues, effectively removed the focus from Limbaugh and put it on Bill Maher.

For whole article

No comments:

Post a Comment