Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why I love the Internet

When I first realized some of the potential of the internet was when I was designing a program for my business back around 1995. You know what's really funny? Some of you kids weren't ever born yet. Holy cow, I'm getting old. (Oh my God, an idea for another post).

Here's a question if someone may answer as an aside. In my first paragraph I close with "post)." Does the closing parenthesis go to the left of the period (like I have it) or to the right of the period in this instance?

So back to why I love the internet.

I ran into a simple problem, but no one was able to help me, and I could not find help on the internet.

I sent out a "help me, I'm stuck" question and some fellow tried to answer my question. He said if it didn't work, to send him the program.

I ended up sending him the program, he fixed it for me and my problems were solved. This was a gentleman in India.

So here I am in America, he's in India, I never leave the comfort of my home, neither he, and I got my problem fixed for free. (And I probably spent 40 hours trying to figure it out myself.)

Well, here's another problem I had. It's something small, but you know how it is, it just nags at you and you want to figure it out. Now this problem is very simple, but don't laugh at me.

Here it is: When I create a post and I want to "link" somewhere, I've always just pasted the link in the body of my post, i.e. http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/. Now I've learned how to link like this

Pretty simple stuff, but if you don't know something, you don't know it.

Here's how it's done (and this is assuming you're blogging like this): Simply "highlight" the word that you want to take you to the link of your choosing. How do you highlight? Take you "mouse", left click, and drag it over the word. When highlighted, release your mouse.

Then click on the "Hyperlink" Icon, that's about the 6th tool from the left (on the top of the page) if you are on the page in your blog where you create a post. Then paste the link into the appropriate spot, close window and walla, you've done it.

Like I say, it's a small thing, but it's something I've thought about for hours and wondered how it's done. I knew it was simple, but I just didn't know how to do it.

I remember one time as a kid, I heard something on the TV that I've never forgotten: "To a genius everything is simple". And the begging answer is: Of course, that's why he's a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment