Saturday, January 22, 2011

Los Angeles







Ayn Rand--"The skyline of New York is a monument of a splendour that no pyramids or palaces will ever equal or approach".

I thought of Ayn Rand's quote today as I strolled through Los Angeles. What a wonderful town. Hands down, my favorite street is Broadway. What must it have been like in its heyday. Pictures you will see of different auditoriums are all on Broadway. Broadway is like Disneyland, except you don't have to pay $75 to get in. You have people that keep the sidewalks clean, and the sidewalks are wide (I think 18'). There's so much to see and do, and overall, if it's daytime, it's safe.

I enjoy riding my bike and saying hi to people. Some are indifferent, others light up. It might be a small connection, but even so, it brings me joy, and I hope I bring joy. In the video, you'll get to meet Steve, my new friend. A heroin addict for 38 years, who now teaches kids about living a life without drugs.

A woman speaking only Spanish asked me for directions. I actually helped her out. Not only did I know where she wanted to go, I was able to explain to her in her native language.

Along with LA's theatre district, garment district, and jewelry district, LA also has a homeless district. Some of these homeless are so out there, they're feral. I saw one old man with nothing but tattered clothes. I don't know how his sox even held together. I thought about buying him some socks. And then I wondered, if he gets these new socks, how long would it be before he's robbed. I can't imagine how difficult life must be for this old man.

And then I thought, wouldn't is be nice if I could take just one homeless person out to lunch, maybe give him a few bucks? Just to talk to him/her and spend a short time with him.

How about this for a great reality show: An average joe talks to a homeless person, brings him home, let's him take a nice warm bath, buys him clothes, a hot meal, and let's him spend the night. No judgment, just give this person one night of bliss. Get to know him. And have different people around the country do this, let it get edited and make a reality show. And then follow-up on the person in a year. And some of the proceeds from the show given to help the homeless.

I don't know what it is, but I love Los Angeles. I love the food, the people, the whole vibe. It makes me come alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment