Sunday, January 9, 2011

Traffic Tickets In California

This was a traffic ticket I recently received. Speeding and running a red light. Of course everyone who gets a ticket is innocent, and I'm  no exception.

But honestly folks, this was a bogus ticket. I won't go into detail, but I was so upset, that I set this for trial. And to set this for trial, doesn't mean just sending in the bail money. I had to drive all the way to the courthouse, wait in line, then drive all the way back home. It took 4 hours.

I showed up for my court date, and there were literally over a hundred people fighting their tickets. The cops filled the jury box, and were lined along the wall.

My name was called, "here". Then the officer's name was called--no answer. Case dismissed.

Here's what I think is happening, and tell me if this fits your observation: A lot more traffic stops are taking place.

And you're not being let off with a friendly warning, a ticket will be written. But take it to court. First, you have nothing to lose, secondly, cops aren't allowed all this overtime, so many are not showing up for these traffic ticket court trials.

It used to be the economic cycle was that we produce, and then consume. Now the economic cycle is get bullshit tickets, fund the police jobs and  their retirements. They're fearful of losing their cushy retirements, look more for frivolous tickets in the future. It's certainly not about "Protect and Serve" but let's strong arm Joe Hardworking Citizen.

BTW, the fine for my ticket was over $500. And then I received a letter from the courthouse telling me to disregard the fine-- prices were going up.

No comments:

Post a Comment