Monday, March 25, 2024

Uncommonly Brilliant--Not So Much

 

So my blog is called "Uncommonly Brilliant". I must say, that's rather pretentious.

When I can hide behind my computer and just belt out my thoughts, I get to call my blog anything I want. And "Uncommonly Brilliant" is not one of my attributes.

If 100 IQ is the mean, that'd be me. I hope that's me. Because if that is, most people with an average IQ are functional in society and making the world a better place. What's a "better place" is debatable, but it's smoothly going about one's business.

If I'm below the Bell curve on IQness, that's a good thing too. Because if I'm as smart as I think I am, and I'm actually dumber than most, it bodes well for mankind.

If I'm smarter than I think I am, ie higher on the Bell curve of IQness, that means there are more people dumber than me. Oh my, that's not a good thing. Fortunately, where I live, people around me are smart. Smart people instinctively realize one must be kind to those they meet and those that come into their circle.

I think I'm dumber though sometimes, like when my wife tells a joke, I often don't get it. And I forget people's names five seconds after meeting them. Shit like that. But on the other hand, I know the universe is made up of elements, which are made up of atoms. The atoms consist of a nucleus containing a proton and a neutron, outside of the nucleus, electrons. I know the earth is not flat. I know that beyond our solar system (the earth rotates around the sun) and beyond our galaxy there are billions of galaxies. Those last few sentences are mind-blowing in that I know that but it was the most brilliant of minds who discovered those things in the last just few hundreds of years. Their brilliance I can assimilate into my mind.

One of the subjects I believe I know about that other's don't is nutrition. To me, once one has achieved a comfortable standard of living, health becomes even more important. And I believe I know what's cause for good health but people don't want to be bothered. Much easier to take medication for life, go have surgery than eat food that in the short term doesn't not have the pizaaz of what they're used to, but would benefit in the long run.

But back to IQ. The more I see, the more I believe people aren't equipped or don't have the tools to function optimally in life. But I don't believe it is solely IQ based. It's inquisitiveness, being willing or having the courage to go against the tide. Much easier to be at a bar on a Sunday afternoon eating shit cheering and acting like an idiot because some football team kicked a field goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment