Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ordinary People--Puppy Love

I've just re watched the movie, "Ordinary People". One of my favorite scenes is toward the end of the movie. Tim Hutton's character is waiting outside the house of a girl he wants to see.

So Tim didn't want to wake up the girl's family by calling, so we're given the impression that he waited outside her house for hours to see her. Now he doesn't know how she'll react to him, for their only previous date did not go so well.

And mind you, while he's waiting outside, we're talking the dead of a Chicago winter.

The girl, played by Elizabeth McGovern, sees Tim from the window of her home and comes outside to see him.

They talk. In their insecurities, they get their ideas out. It's such a precious moment. They really like each other and want to be together, but each thinks that the other may not like whom he/she is.

Tim asks Elizabeth, "Are you going to school today?" He's just had such a cathartic experience that he doesn't even know what day it is.

But you realize they like each other. They can both be themselves and be honest with the other.

I remember the first time I had a girlfriend. Feelings of insecurity==Does she like me, what do I say to her, she's so nice why would she like me==you get the idea.

Our first love is not something to be taken lightly. It's a real experience in our life.

When my son was born, I remember driving home from the hospital with him for the first time. I don't think I ever went over 30 miles per hour, I didn't blink my eyes too much, and both hands were steadfast on the steering wheel.

These are real experiences we experience, they should be valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment