Sunday, September 13, 2009

Culture-Food



The gentleman said, "I'm pleased your husband is a vegan. But, I would feel deprived if I didn't eat the foods of my culture. Food brings me much happiness. And not partaking of meats would make me unhappy". This is a conversation my wife had with another restaurant patron.

When I think about that, the person does make a good point. And perhaps for very important family gatherings I may eat the food that culture dictates, such as turkey for Thanksgiving.

But honestly, nah. Whether I eat turkey or not, doesn't make the gathering any less or more happy because I didn't participate in eating an animal. And trust me, when it comes to Thanksgiving, there's plenty to eat besides turkey.

It's not that I want to thumb my nose at our precious traditions. But I have chosen to eat consciously. More and more, others are realizing that vegans don't eat certain foods not to offend the host, but for other reasons. And when I can be in someone elses home and not made to feel guilty because I'm not eating all the foods they are eating, I have a higher respect for them. For they realize I am their guest, they respect my food choices. And they realize I don't have to eat the same way they eat for us all to have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment