Monday, September 7, 2009

My Veganism


As a child, I grew up eating the typical American diet.

For breakfast, my mom would make my brother and I a pound of bacon, buttered toast, eggs, all washed down with milk.

This is how I ate. Everyday.

Now, for the most part, I don't eat any meat or anything that comes from an animal. Things like cheese, butter, milk, yogurt and ice cream.

It amazes me that I've made this turn-around.

For breakfast, I may have a juice comprising of spinach, carrots, celery and apple. Or cereal consisting of grape nuts, banana, blueberries, strawberries topped with pecans. My milk of choice is called "Rice Milk", which is not milk at all, but a liquid created by mixing water with brown rice and a few other ingredients.

For dinner, my wife and I went to the Soup Plantation. It's an all-you-can-eat salad bar. I had a couscous salad, broccoli salad, tomato/cucumber/onion salad, wonton salad and a big spinach salad. Along with a curry split pea soup.

I absolutely love to eat this way. For many, it is thought that I'm deprived because I don't eat the standard American diet. And at one time, I did indeed feel deprived. But not anymore. When I see others eat their rich, high protein and high fat diet, I don't miss it at all. I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm doing what is most healthy for my body.

I wish I could stay where I'm at now. I like eating this way. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, soups, salads, the choices are endless.

It was the fast that I did a few weeks ago that got me back on the right track. Sometimes I slide ever so slowly into the murky pit of eating bad foods, and it's doing a fast that brings me right back. That's why I love a fast so much. And as I come back, I find myself getting stronger and stronger.

All I can do is to try and live by my own truths. Even if it's against the status-quo. I pray I can be faithful in my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment