Saturday, February 6, 2010

Public Speaking Humor



Reminds me of the question: If it takes 1 hour per pound to cook a 10 pound roast (10 hours), how long does it take to cook 2 five pound roasts?

On Public Speaking

I have been a member of Toastmasters for a year. If you read about public speaking on the internet, many say it's a good idea to join Toastmasters to improve one's speaking skills.

So since becoming a member I've improved. Not only have I improved as a speaker (that I improved isn't saying much) but my life has improved too. I'm more open to talk.

Before, I would keep things inside. Now I'm more willing to be spontaneous. And I'm finding others laughing at my silly jokes. (Most of the time.) I believe it actually takes courage to say something funny, because I could always be rejected. But the more I do it, the more I'm OK with that. Often times, I realize a lot of people just don't have a sense of humor. (Well, we all do, it's just that we suffer from adultitis.)

So I think I'm starting to more and more find my funny bone. And I realize that's the direction I want to take in public speaking. Speaking is an important form of communication, but I want to use that platform with humor. I realize for me to convey ideas, I don't want to by serious the whole time. I want to be funny. I want to have others laugh and have a good time, and I want to laugh and have a good time too. So while the message is important, what is even more important is shared laughter. Friendship.

What are your ideas?

PS. It's been awhile, but I think the formula is A squared Xs B squared=C squared

No comments:

Post a Comment