Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What is Ideal Diet


For twenty years I have been studying nutrition. It's been something I'm passionate about.

What is the ideal diet? Is there such a thing? What I think is ideal is definitely in the minority. Let me say what most believe: That animal consumption is of extreme importance. We must get our protein. If there is a holy grail in nutrition, the number one commandment: Make sure you eat lots of animal protein.

People who I highly respect believe this. I don't know a percentage, but I would put it upwards of ninety. Doctors, nutritionists, lay people, this is the common thought.

I'm rereading Robert Pritikin's book, The Pritikin Weight Loss Breakthrough, and he talks about our fat instinct. When man was hunter/gatherer in search of food, it may be days before food was found. Man developed a taste for fat, and his body learned to store fat for lean times. Well, we still have that fat instinct, it's just that we don't need it anymore. In fact, as we can so readily see, it's deleterious to our health.

So what is the ideal diet? I'm not telling. But I'll link you to others who I think know a hell of a lot more than I do, and in their own way, they all say the same thing:

Dr McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, Dr Joel Fuhrman, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Nathan Pritikin, , Dr Neal Barnard, and Dr Dean Ornish.

No comments:

Post a Comment